Week 19 - Reflective Journal

 For this module - GART704: Crafting and Refining - we are encouraged to use a game engine such as Unreal to experiment with lighting techniques that can be applied to a 2D or 3D render. For our submission, we have to show a scene (or two scenes) with two different lighting conditions. These conditions can convey different times of day (morning, evening) or different moods (warm, cold).

Fig. 1: Dros. 2017. Same Location Different Seasons.

Some key things to consider during this module are: 

  • CONTRAST: the most important aspect of an image.
  • COLOUR: to show warmth, coldness, and mood. 
  • DIRECTION: direct the gaze, or show a player where to go, highlighting areas/items of interest.
  • A RHYTHM/BEAT : a beat from light to dark helps achieve depth.

Fig. 2: Recktenwald, 2016. Uncharted 4 Environment Art.

After avoiding 3D work in the last module, as I focused on a 2D character concept, I want to work on a 3D render for this module. Using Unreal Engine 5.1, I will be able to access free assets to add to a scene, but would also like to create some simple assets of my own. My primary idea is to work on a fantasy graveyard scene, inspired by "hag stones" - a stone with a naturally occurring hole through it, believed to have magical properties and ward off witches. 

Figure 3: Spence, 2023. PureRef Board

I want my two lighting conditions to be at different times of day, but also convey different moods. I looked into how animators at Pixar approach lighting:

"Artists create blueprints called color scripts, which are hand-painted frames that depict scenes throughout a storyline...much like a storyboard only more detailed in terms of tone. When these frames are viewed consecutively, the director and production designer can determine the emotional story arc." (Bell, 2020)

Fig. 4: Unknown maker. Finding Nemo Colour Script

I may produce a rough block-out of my scene, and paint over it to produce some colour scripts to work out what kind of lighting I want.

I started making some basic stone shapes in Maya, that I can refine and add detail to in ZBrush. I want to make the stones appear naturally formed by the sea, something that is challenging to create in Maya.

Fig. 5: Spence, 2023. Maya Stone Block-Outs

In ZBrush I can hollow out areas with more ease, add holes and crevices from water damage, etc. Being able to increase the geometry greatly improves the detail I can add. This will also mean I get to practice retopology and making textures.

Fig. 6: Spence, 2023. ZBrush Refining

I like using a tablet for better pressure control whilst modeling, and results feel much quicker, though blocking out in Maya is still very useful for me.


References:

BELL, Jasmyne. 2020. 'How Do You Light an Animated Film?' [online] No Film School. Available at: https://nofilmschool.com/how-do-you-light-animated-film [Accessed on 27/01/2023]

Images:

Figure 1. DROS, Albert. 2017. Same Location Different Seasons. PetaPixel [online]. Available at: https://petapixel.com/2017/12/06/shot-7-photos-location-different-seasons/ [Accessed on: 27/01/2023]

Figure 2. RECKTENWALD, Brian. 2016. Uncharted 4 Environment Art. ArtStation [online]. Available at: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GzlPB [Accessed on: 27/01/2023]

Figure 3. SPENCE, Nel. 2023. PureRef Board. Private Collection: Nel Spence

Figure 4. Unknown maker. Finding Nemo Colour Script. Escape Studios Animation [online]. Available at: https://escapestudiosanimation.blogspot.com/2020/04/why-animators-need-colour-scripts.html [Accessed on: 27/01/2023]

Figure 5. SPENCE, Nel. 2023. Maya Stone Block-OutsPrivate Collection: Nel Spence

Figure 6. SPENCE, Nel. 2023. ZBrush RefiningPrivate Collection: Nel Spence

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 36+37 - Reflective Journal - GAM705

 We are now onto our major project, and final module. The year is coming to an end, and my aim is now to create work to add to my portfolio ...