Week 25 - Reflective Journal

This week I focused on starting to paint over screenshots of my scene, to create the final concepts and lighting set ups. 

Fig. 1: Spence, 2023. Paint Over - Lines.

Fig. 2: Spence, 2023. Paint Over - Gradients.

Fig. 3: Spence, 2023. Paint Over - Colours.

I've also been working on my final video, taking some short renders of my scenes in Maya. I was surprised to find in my night scene that rendering 2.5 seconds worth of footage at 24fps, in 720p, was taking up to four hours due to the number of lights. Below are screenshots of the number of lights in my night scene (fig. 4), compared to my day scene (fig. 5).

Fig. 4: Spence, 2023. Night Scene Lights.

Fig. 5: Spence, 2023. Day Scene Lights.

The bulk of the lights in my night scene are on the mushrooms, which are mesh lights, but also have point lights for added glow. The directional lights are adding more colour to the scene (without shadow), with one later being removed and replaced with a spotlight to immitate "god rays" from the moonlight.

Fig. 6: Spence, 2023. Day Scene Video Screenshot.

Fig. 7: Spence, 2023. Night Scene Video Screenshot.

Overall, I think my scenes have come together quite well, and I'll hopefully get some good footage for the final video.


References:

Images:

Figure 1. SPENCE, Nel. 2023. Paint Over - Lines. Private Collection: Nel Spence.

Figure 2. SPENCE, Nel. 2023. Paint Over - Gradients. Private Collection: Nel Spence.

Figure 3. SPENCE, Nel. 2023. Paint Over - Colours. Private Collection: Nel Spence.

Figure 4. SPENCE, Nel. 2023. Night Scene Lights. Private Collection: Nel Spence.

Figure 5. SPENCE, Nel. 2023. Day Scene Lights. Private Collection: Nel Spence.

Figure 6. SPENCE, Nel. 2023. Day Scene Video ScreenshotPrivate Collection: Nel Spence.

Figure 7. SPENCE, Nel. 2023. Night Scene Video ScreenshotPrivate Collection: Nel Spence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 36+37 - Reflective Journal - GAM705

 We are now onto our major project, and final module. The year is coming to an end, and my aim is now to create work to add to my portfolio ...