Week 7 & 8 - Reflective Journal

Following reading week, we had a peer review - an opportunity for us to show our work to a small group of fellow masters students and receive feedback. Unfortunately there was a lot of confusion around what it was we were meant to be showing, as many of us believed it was meant to be a showcase of work created so far, and not the personal case study presentation we would be showing a week later. Whilst some people had the beginnings of a presentation ready to go, most had not yet started, myself included. Still, we decided to showcase our reflective journals and game jams, and give each other feedback based on those. A wall of text with some images isn’t the best showcase of what I’ve done, though I had my life drawing and concept art work there too, which my peers responded well to. 

I think when I realised I still had a week before my presentation, I relaxed too much, and even though it was done on time, I could have dedicated more to practicing and refining it. I aim not to make this mistake again this year.


My presentation a week later went well. I am usually shaky when presenting, and become tongue-tied easily, which can cause big pauses in my speech and causes me to get more nervous. But, as it went on I felt I was covering each slide well, and kept it within a good frame. I think overall I wish I’d showcased my work more, and had more discussion on my ambitions to be a concept artist, but I'm happy with how it went.

I realised that working more on my presentation than I normally would have - writing notes, practicing what I wanted to say - greatly reduced how stressed and anxious I was. Keeping on top of work and time-keeping has been a bit of a challange for me, but I think being more relaxed improved my ability to present and the quality of my presentation.

This module was a great learning experience, and I'm looking forward to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 36+37 - Reflective Journal - GAM705

 We are now onto our major project, and final module. The year is coming to an end, and my aim is now to create work to add to my portfolio ...